Olive My Face.

Hello. Yes. January was about three months long. Getting up at 6AM to drive cars in the dark and then spending 45 sodding minutes getting from the garage to teach for three hours, and then 45 mins to get back to driving the cars back to their homes and going back to teach was grueling. I’m happy with the garage, but the location licks donkey dongs. I almost quit car jockeying and might still, although, as I told my dad, it’s not a decision to make at 6:30AM when you’re shivering in the rainy predawn blackness at a bus stop. I’ll wait until I’ve had at least a month of getting up and putting on a tank top and going out in the sun.

Somewhere in the second week of Interminable January, I looked at my face at 6:45 PM when I came in from work and thought, “Christ, I look haggard.” Leeched of colour, my face was starting to develop wrinkles at an alarming rate. I could attribute the defeated look to exhaustion, but what’s with the face? All of a sudden I’m 50? I knew I had laugh lines, but what’s with the crepey stuff under the eyes?

I marched into Shoppers Drug Mart the next Saturday, intent on purchasing a miracle, and left empty-handed. I wasn’t going to choose between going to Paris and face cream. Fricking forty dollars for skin cream? Nope. I can’t pronounce half those ingredients, either. Plus, what the hell is alcohol stearate? But olive oil has been good on my dry scalp. Hmm.

I’ve been moisturizing my face with olive oil for about two weeks now, and I really do think it’s made a difference. I no longer look 50. Heck, I don’t even think I look 38 right now. The lines and wrinkles around my eyes are softer. My skin feels softer in general. All I do is pat a few drops of extra virgin olive oil around my eyes and then the rest of my face after I’ve washed it in the morning.

I’m interested to see how this goes. I may yet find a way to compete with E’s naturally great skin.

8 Comments to “Olive My Face.”

1. By Arwen, February 3, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Olive oil is a great solution, I think.
    I also think your schedule is ASS.

2. By Liz, February 3, 2011 @ 11:50 am

It’s much less ass now. That morning class, combined with where the garage is, was hell.

3. By clara, February 3, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

1. I saw some people I follow on twitter start washing their faces with honey …I tried it for a couple of weeks and got a couple of blemishes but I didnt’ need to moisturize afterward because it didn’t strip my skin as much as soap / cleanser does. Tsp or so of honey, massage into wet face, rinse.
    2. I have also heard talk of washing face w/cod liver oil .. olive might work the same?
    3. Yes. January is long and bad enough without a schedule like that. Bah. Happy Feb.

4. By Liz, February 3, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

I don’t know about honey. Isn’t it sticky? I think olive is probably less pungent than cod liver. That, I like.

Happy Feb.

5. By Beth, February 7, 2011 @ 2:55 am

My step mom used vitamin E on her face for a while. She had beautiful soft skin until she died at 89. She took a vitamin E capsule every night, poked it with a pin, squeezed it and rubbed the oil inside on her face.

6. By Stephanie, February 10, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Olive oil. Huh. I’ve heard about vitamin E caplets (like someone said in the comments.) Face cream is hella expensive, and I’m willing to try anything to not look old.

7. By Liz, February 10, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Vitamin E? I’d try that.

Stephanie, the cost of face goo really irks me as well.

8. By clara, February 11, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

here’s a post about oil cleansing methods I just came across & thought of you. http://tigweb.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/927/#comments

Bad Behavior has blocked 8 access attempts in the last 7 days.